Harry Potter-a-thon

OK, I have to admit that the Breaking Dawn book was a bit of a let down for me. I know some people enjoyed it and felt that there was closure in the series, but I was disappointed by some of the ways the storyline branched out. Perhaps it was too high of expectations, with my staying up all night to read it, but, alas, not everything can be as good as Harry Potter....

So... I'm shifting back to Harry Potter now. ;) On my recent trip to the Smoky Mountains (blog to come), everyone in the car started listening to the Harry Potter audiobooks from Book I, Sorcerer's Stone. This would have to be about the 8th or so time for me to listen/read it, but it was a first listen for the others. For about 12-15 hours or so of driving time, we were all kept at pretty rapt attention (ok, Jean did fall asleep once ;) to Jim Dale put voices into the colorful characters and storyline of JK Rowling's novels (we got through all of Sorcerer's Stone and partly through Chamber of Secrets). If you've never listened to the Potter books and only read them, or if you've had a hard time reading them all, I highly recommend a try at listening to them. Jim Dale really makes it come to life in a different way, and I've come back to listen to them again and again.

Next on my Harry Potter agenda: With movie 6 coming out this fall (November 12th to be exact... or the 11th at midnight for us hard-core Potter fans), it's time to start planning my next Harry-Potter-a-thon. Last year, I had a Harry-Potter-a-thon, with me and several friends watching movies 1-4 all in one day, 1 week before movie 5 came out. This time, I might have to go with movies 3-5 for the event and watch 1 and 2 on my own the week before ... for continuity. :) Last year was quite fun... the planning of it was as fun as the event itself. My friend, Kathy, helped me with ideas and planning, and made a Hogwarts Castle Cake. I made snitches for decoration and party favors. We had themed food and drink, from butterbeer and pumpkin juice, to ton-tongue toffee. There were potion ingredients, a cauldron, brooms, a Hedwig, decorative pictures, house banners, the prophecy banner, Moaning Myrtle, Harry Potter Scene It! to play during breaks, Harry Potter trivia contests and more. It was great fun and I'm looking forward to doing it again this year, though it will be hard to top last year!! :)

Comments

Popular Posts