Lego Robots


Another thing I wanted to post about: a lego robotics workshop that I did with a mentoring program I was involved in called Discoveries Unlimited. Below is a picture of the robot my mentee and I worked on, which we named GIR (Great Intelligent Robot? Well, it something like that ;). It was a lot of fun and taught a lot of skills, such as following instructions (LOTS of them in the lego manual) and some computer programming to program the robots to do what you wanted it to do. I was amazed at how in one day, the 6th grade kids not only created robots that used light sensors, sound sensors and motion sensors, but they were able to program them to do specific tasks on a obstacle course. Being a programmer, I would never have thought we could get that far in the programming of anything complex. I thought it would take a lot to explain the concepts and the software. However, the kids caught on so quickly, it was amazing. They came up with a grand idea of something they wanted to do with their robot and they made it happen! One group even created robots to do a synchronized dance routine. Very impressive girls!

Comments

Michelle Smith said…
Stopping by from the UBP. My 11 year old son would go nuts over that Lego robot! Very cool. He loves his Legos, yet we haven't yet bought any of the cool programmable ones yet. :(
Stopping by from UBP2010! Nice to meet you. Hope you have a great weekend! Just signed up for your rss feed.

Your robot is very cool, our school has a Lego Robotics club and they make such cool things!

Thanks for stopping by my blog, come back soon & check out my new mini album.
C Squared said…
Never underestimate the intelligence of a child. I believe that children are smart until they go through the American education system and it is taken away from them. :) Looks like it was fun though.

Popular Posts