Day 2 (Part 3) New Zealand Franz Josef Glacier


After returning from our helicopter ride, Karen and I went for a sunset champagne horseback ride through the mountains and rainforest. This was a neat concept- we went out before sunset and rode for a little while with the beautiful mountain scenery, then about 1/2 way through the ride, we all dismounted in a field and toasted with champagne. The ride then took us through a rainforest part of the area and we returned just as the sun was setting. Another thing I loved is that they let riders that knew how to ride canter back along the path, something that is often not allowed on trail rides here- at least in the Chicago area where trail rides are hard to find anyway, I assume because of legal reasons. So, here I was, cantering along home on the path with my great horse Apache, while watching the sun set over the New Zealand mountains (where I had just come from the top of one with the helicopter ride to the top to see the glacier)- this was just one of my best moments, among so many on this trip. A perfect culmination to the great and never-ending day in Franz Josef Glacier!

About Franz Josef Glacier itself- it was a very small town that seemed to be just a few blocks of all these type of tourist places related to the glacier primarily, but the area was wooded with lots of trails and a national park and we heard about hot pools fed with glacial waters and a nearby glowworm cave (which Karen and I chickened out on going since we had to go in the pitch dark! ;). We ate at the Speights Landing Bar & Restaurant and had a very nice dinner. We stayed at the Scenic Hotel, pictured below, which just gave the feel of a being in a Swiss chalet, especially being surrounded by the mountains. I really liked the style and feeling I got from being in the town- I kept remarking that I felt like I was in Switzerland (not that I've been to Switzerland, but how I would imagine it anyway :). We had a lovely time here and only wish we had more than the one day to spend in Franz Josef Glacier. As usual, more pics at my website: http://bex.no-ip.com/PhotoAlbums/PhotoAlbums.htm. Click here for the next post in this journey :)







Comments

Popular Posts