Chicago's Air and Water Show


The Chicago Air & Water Show is the largest spectator event in the United States. Sounds like a mass of people, doesn't it? I have a solution to beat the crowds: watch the Air and Water show from a sailboat in Monroe Harbor! Although I wasn't actually able to get out there this year, I've been on a boat twice for the show. Granted, you don't get to see the water part of the show while docked in the harbor, but with so many people, short little me at 5'3" wouldn't be able to see that part through the people anyway. :) The air part is neat to see, first from far away and then, towards the end of the show, the military planes fly from Gary, IN right over the harbor several times. It makes for great photographs to remember the event. Unfortunately, I don't know if there are commercial boats that bring you out during the show or not; I have friends with a sailboat in Monroe Harbor that introduced me to this experience. My advice... find a friend or friend of a friend with a boat and invite yourself along if they happen to be going out (or suggest it, as most people don't think to do this) and enjoy the show by yourselves away from the people and crowds, with some wine and snacks, enjoying the sunshine as the planes come by.

Comments

Popular Posts