Sailing


I went sailing this weekend on a friend's boat harbored at Lake Michigan's Monroe Harbor.  I just love being out on the water and enjoying the city I love from another perspective.  I also love the people I go sailing with- always an eclectic crowd of many different people from my life and the lives of the Sowas, the Sailors of the boat, Ishmael, they built themselves.  Yep, that's right, they built the 62-foot sailboat themselves!  I remember the story being that it was supposed to be a few year project and ended up being a lifetime work, taking nearly 40 years to get the boat a-sailing.  And as anyone who knows anything about boats would know, it's always an ongoing project as well, with maintenance and getting the boat to and from the harbor for the much-too-short duration of the boating season in Chicago.  I've been privileged to be a part of the enjoyment crew, where I get to show up, pull a few ropes when instructed to do so and enjoy sailing on Lake Michigan a few times a season.  It really doesn't get much better than sitting in the harbor at sunset after a day out on the lake, chatting with friends, munching on snacks, sipping wine, watching the city as the lights in all the skyscrapers pop on, little by little, and the last sparkles on the water fade as the sun dips behind the buildings. See more pictures at my website at http://bex.no-ip.com/PhotoAlbums/ScrollSmall.aspx?TnSize=M&Year=4&Event=14.




Comments

Popular Posts