Becky's Top Ten Favorite Restaurants in Chicago

I said earlier that I would like to share some of my favorite restaurants that I frequent in Chicago. Now, keep in mind that I'm going to be top-heavy in Asian places because that is my favorite type of food. But, these are favorites I keep going back to, while other places have faded into the background. Without further ado, here are my top ten:

Becky's Top Ten

1. Wildfire
Pros: Great steaks - filet medallion trio with crusts and their nut-encrusted fish, also their crab stuffed shrimp appetizer is great and the chopped salad is one of my favorites.
Cons: On the pricier side and the restaurant is a bit loud.
2. Morton's Steakhouse
Pros: The raspberry souffle for dessert (get it, even if you're tempted to get the chocolate). Great steaks, also get the Lyonnaise Potatoes and Sliced Beefsteak Tomato Salad.
Cons: Very expensive. Over $100 easy for two people.
3. Shaw's Crabhouse
Pros: Crabcakes, Crab legs, Lobster tail, try their dessert sampler- everything on it was fantastic!!
Cons: On the pricier side.
4. Ron of Japan-Yue Sun
OK- a bit of explanation here... I love both these Japanese Steakhouses- Ron of Japan is "the original"- the first one I ever went to. They still have the best egg yolk shrimp. But, Yue Sun is closer to me (Wood Dale) than Ron's (Chicago and Skokie) and everything else on their menu is just is good, if not better than Ron's and is slightly cheaper. Since I couldn't decide, I just cheated and listed both. :)
Pros: egg yolk sauce (drooling it's so good), garlic sauce (Yue Sun), if you get beef, get the filet- its worth the extra cost, sign up for their mailing list at Yue Sun and get monthly discounts.
Cons: a bit pricey at Ron's, but Yue Sun is good value with coupons.
5. Katy's Dumpling House
Pros: Best homemade noodles!!! Try the Beef Noodle Soup. So good, it's the only thing I've tried and I've eaten there multiple times in one week. Cheap, too.
Cons: Limited menu, the people can't communicate in English very well, so you can't ask for special orders. I tried to ask for my soup slightly less spicy and they didn't really change it, but its so good, I go back again and again for it anyway.
6. bd's Mongolian BBQ
Pros: I love the flavor you get in your freshly made stir fry from from the Mongolian BBQ. You have lots of choices of meats, seafoods, veggies, noodles, egg, spices, etc.
Cons: Long wait to get your food because they are always so crowded. You rarely have to time to go back for seconds, let alone more than that, for the unlimited stir fry option.
7. The Melting Pot
Pros: A unique experience if you haven't tried fondue before. The food is delicious. Best cheese: Carribean Cheese Fondue (although they are all good), Cooking with oil allows you to try batters on your food like the stuffed mushrooms, Save room for the best part- dessert!!! Best dessert: keep it simple- Milk chocolate with oreos. Thursdays are Ladies night: Cheese and Chocolate $29 per person. Try a martini- Chocolate Fontini, Yin Yang- they are all good.
Cons: This is a leisurely meal, so be prepared to be there at least 3 hours. The food portions are so huge that you can practically halve the amount of food they recommend per person when you order in big groups. You are going to smell like oil when you leave, even if you weren't cooking with it... Wear something you can throw in the wash afterwards. This is a pricey meal $40-$50 per person, more if you're going for a lot of drinks.
8. Stir Crazy
Pros: Fresh stir fry bar- if you find a combo you like, you'll keep going back. Try 1 ladle of Szechwan and 1 ladle of Thai BBQ. I also like the flat rice noodles mixed into my stir fry. Menu items to try: Spring Rolls, Pad Thai and my favorite, Bangkok Noodles.
Cons: Stay away from the seafood and the desserts or usually disappointing.
9. Potbelly
Pros: Great sandwiches- they have this incredible bread. The white and wheat bread are equally as good, but do make sure to eat the sandwich warm or it loses some of its charm. They also have great shakes, malts and smoothies here. Try the Oreo Smoothie.
Cons: Other menu add-ons are pricey and there are no lunch combos.
10. Steak n Shake
Pros: Purely for the Shakes! :) Made with Haagen Dazs ice cream- the best milkshakes around! Open 24 hours.
Cons: Their other food is mediocre at best (not that I haven't succumbed to the late night urge to go get a burger, but it usually leaves me disappointed. :)

Now- tell me your favorites by leaving me comments or emailing me- I love to hear of good places to eat!! :)

Comments

Popular Posts