Travel around the world?

I've been listening to one of my favorite podcasts lately, Amateur Traveler. The host of the show, Chris Christensen, also does a Bible Study Podcast that have really enjoyed. Don't know what a podcast is? I forget that not everyone is as much of a "techie" as I am. :) A podcast is an on-demand radio show- meaning it is like a weekly/daily radio show you'd hear on the radio and it usually covers a specific topic and may include interviews. What is different about a podcast over the radio? 1) you can download it on your computer and listen to it any time you want to, rather than being tied to a radio's airing schedule and 2) a podcast can be recorded by anyone, not just DJs or radio talk show hosts. Podcasts have become big with iPods/iPhones because through Apple's iTunes software, you can subscribe to a podcast and have it download automatically whenever there is a new episode, and you can also post your own podcasts for other people to listen to. Anyone with a microphone on their computer can record an audio file and that is essentially what a poscast is- an audio file on your computer. You can listen to it on your computer or on any device that lets you listen to mp3 file- and that isn't just iPods, but the myriad of mp3 digital music players on the market. The cool thing for you or I is that with the many, many podcasts available, there is certain to be a few that center around your interests or hobbies...I love to listen to them during my commute and while at the gym on my iPod (hopefully I explained that well enough, but if not, feel free to leave me a comment or email me and I'd be happy to explain more).

Anyway, I have been catching up on episodes of The Amateur Traveler, which are put out weekly. If you know me, you know that traveling is something I thoroughly enjoy, so what better podcast would there be for me?? :) I listened to an episode about Western Australia, which was neat because my niece moved to Australia (although to the eastern part of Australia) a year or so ago and I have been longing to visit. The person being interviewed on the podcast about his trip there said he'd taken a year off to travel around the world.

Wow. How cool is that? I don't know about you, but that just makes my imagination go wild about all the places I would like to visit if I did that. Where would YOU go? I'd go visit my niece in Australia, making sure to stop in New Zealand as well. I'd go to the vineyards in Southern France where Julia Child used to live, I'd go to Venice and take a boat ride to dinner, I'd go to the Swiss Alps. I'd go to Japan and Thailand, visit China and Hong Kong. I'd even like to go to Botswana, Africa from reading about the lands in The Number One Ladies Detective Agency series. I might even have to plan out this fictious trip of all the places I'd go- who knows, maybe I will even make it to some of them, though maybe not all in one year. :)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for the nice mention.

Chris

Popular Posts