Preparing for Taste of Chicago

I started looking at Taste of Chicago information today (June 27 - July 6 this year- less than 3 weeks away! :). Each year I print out their map and then create a document with all the food vendors, what they are serving and where they are. The next step is to go through the document and highlight or circle the ones I really want to make sure I try. This may seem like a lot of work, but the Taste gets crowded and waiting in lines isn't fun. It's especially not fun when you are hungry. And you HAVE to go when you are hungry in order to make the most of the food! :) So, having a plan is really the best way to go. It can even help you decide where to "set up camp" to make the most of food runs. Even with a strategy, I may not make it to all of the vendors I want to, but at least I know where the Thai food is if I really, really want to get it before I go.

I look forward to the Taste because I enjoy trying new foods, I think the gourmet food tent is neat and of course there is always music and other fun stuff going on. You are in for an all-day excursion, and hence, it is exhausting (especially if coming from the suburbs, which makes for a long day of trains, buses and walking). The food is worth it, though, so grab a friend or two and head down to the Taste this year... and if you've been there before, there are several new vendors to try this year! Adobe grill (mexican), Canady Le Chocolatier (gelato), Hashbrowns (sweet potato hashbrowns...mmm, sounds good :), Last Tablas (serving empanadas filled with ground beef, rice, egg and potato- yum!), Now We're Poppin (popcorn), Soul Vegetarian East (some great sounding vegetarian food like battered cauliflower), Tamirind (Thai food), The Breakfast Club (looks to be mexican breakfast food) and Wow Bao (looks to be Chinese).

Here are some tips for making the most of your Taste experience, whether you are a native or visitor:
-Go early... at 11am, the opening time, there is hardly anyone there. I learned this by accident when going early for a free Crows concert there one year.
-Go early... beginning days of the Taste are less crowded than the ending days of the Taste. And also weekdays will be less crowded as well, if you can swing that.
-Bring a seat... one of those camp folding chairs and/or a blanket. And if you are with someone else, make a "home" location. Take turn making food runs for a few items and then sit down and enjoy sharing it all.
-Bring your own beverages- why waste your tickets on water or pop? Bring a backpack with water/pop (I also recommend a backpack since you'll be walking around a lot and include things like extra napkins, maybe some handi-wipes for those messier items). Coolers are allowed (except not inside the Petrillo Music Shell), but lugging it all the way downtown doesn't excite me. Also, be aware that alcoholic beverages are not allowed.
-Be prepared with what you definitely want to see or eat and DO THAT FIRST. The place is going to fill up, the lines are going to get long and you are going to get tired.
-The most important thing- go for "The Taste" options on the menus... these are smaller portioned items, usually for 1-2 tickets, but could be up to 4 tickets (cost is $8 for 12 tickets.. I usually buy 24 and that is plenty). You are going to get to taste a lot more food if you go for the smaller portions, even if you are sharing with friends. Yes, some of the Taste options are lame compared to a vendor's other items, so splurge on one bigger sized item if you want to, but with the plethora of food around, it shouldn't be too hard to find something good.
-Don't miss Tuscany's Toasted Ravioli- it was great! (Harry Caray's has this also this year for its Taste Portion).
-Don't miss 1/2 cheese burger from Billy Goat's- this was rather tasty.

My picks to try this year? Give me a bit of time to "digest" my document and decide. :) I'll post the document and my picks for some good eatin' at the Taste sometime soon.

Comments

Popular Posts